Week 26 Progress Report: Life Changes Ahead

So here are today’s numbers:

Starting Weight:
238.6
Original Target*:
255.8
Adjusted Target:
236.8
Actual Weight:
239.0
Loss/Gain:
+ 0.4
Total Loss:
63.6
% of Goal:
45.9%
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 2.4
*Original target calculated from a starting weight of 302.6 lbs. and an average loss/wk. of 1.8 lbs.
And yesterday was the end of the plan month, so here are those numbers:

Starting Weight:
247.0
Target Weight:
239.0
Actual Weight:
239.2
Loss/Gain:
– 7.8
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 1.8
In six months, 26 weeks, I’ve lost 63.6 pounds, a little under 46% of my surplus weight. It’s quite an accomplishment. I should be happy.

In the next room, as I write this, my mother is dying.

My sister arrived last night. This morning and afternoon, we’re doing various things to prepare for the arrival of two of our uncles and an aunt. Perhaps other relatives will come after the end; everything is still pretty fluid. Meanwhile, the woman who gave me life, who’s responsible for so much of my personality (both my strengths and weaknesses), around the care of whom I built the last five years of my life, remains quiet, simply breathing in and out as she detaches from this world in preparation for the next.

This blog is not the place to reflect on the totality of Mom’s life, her impact on me, and what losing her will do or mean to me. If I give words to my grief, they’ll be in some other place.

But at least one part of her story belongs on this site: For many years, Mom struggled with obesity as well. She never got to my point, though I believe she was about 60 lbs. overweight for most if not all my childhood. But Mom was clinically obese until around 1984-85 when she took up tap-dancing at the urging of a good friend who taught dance. From that point on, she maintained a healthy weight, even after arthritis and hip replacements ended her dancing.

Yesterday, I was driving home from 4:00pm Sunday Mass when it occurred to me that all I’d had up to that point was most of a 15-oz. mug of coffee with cream. When I got home and my brother and I discussed dinner plans—Ted planned to stop at Five Guys’ while running an errand—I said, “Don’t even worry about the calories; I’ve got most of my budget still available.” Then, as I was doing some things around the house, I thought briefly of setting the weight-loss program on the back burner. At times like this, you starve yourself out of absent-mindedness half the time and gorge yourself silly the other half. As well, we’re an Irish family; the alcohol will come out at some point.

But as I considered it, I thought of the many times over the last six months that my mother has said how much better I was looking and how proud she was that I was doing so well. And I can’t do it—I can’t just set the program aside, not even for one week. She would want me to keep plugging away, even through the sorrow that must eventually come. Food doesn’t love. Food doesn’t comfort. Part of this exercise is learning to take comfort and find satisfaction in ways other than by stuffing my belly. That includes when I lose the people I love.

I can’t promise there will be an update next week. The last act could be hours away, or it could be days away. And if our experience with my younger brother’s passing is any guide, it will probably be several days after Mom’s death before the coroner releases her body for (ugh) “final disposal.” And, after everyone else has gone home, I’ll have to find a way to get back on my own feet and build a new life not based on caring for someone who’s ill.

But when I started writing this post, purely on a whim, I had Alexa put on “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Dah” by The Beatles. Life will go on. I’ll grieve; I’ll miss Mom for the rest of my own life, just as I miss Dad, Bob, my two uncles Jim, my aunt Pat, and my grandmothers (I never really knew my grandfathers). However, I don’t think God’s done with me yet. There are still things to do, to see, and to say. And there’s still 75 pounds left to lose.

So if I’m not back next Monday, look for me the Monday after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment