A PSA and a Reflection

Tomorrow, Sept. 11, will be the end of the August plan month and the beginning of the September plan month. (It’s also the 18th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. So I’ll be off social media from 8:46am to 10:28am EDT.) I’ve put off the weekly progress report until tomorrow so I can include the numbers for this last month.

I repeat, tomorrow ends the plan month. This month, due to the funeral week and the problems I had regaining diet discipline, I’ve already missed a secondary goal, which was to have lost at least 69.3 lbs. by Sept. 1, and will almost certainly miss my month-end goal of 231.2 lbs.

That’s okay.

First, I am back to the program discipline and am losing weight again. Second, because I shed weight so fast at the very beginning of the program, I’m still well ahead of where I originally expected to be. The most important thing about all the goals is that they help to keep me focused. Missing a goal does not make me a bad person. And besides, behind many great successes are a lot of small failures. (Let that be your aphorism for today.)

Third, and most important, tomorrow also starts a new plan month, with a new month-end goal. The month-end goal always reflects where the month began, not where the plan began. So the problems of this month will have little if anything to do with the challenges and successes the next month will bring. Tomorrow or the next day, I hope I'll have passed the 50% benchmark in my overall plan. By the end of the month, I expect I’ll have met and surpassed the Halloween challenge. And I still expect to meet my year-end goal of 210lbs., even with the temptations the Thanksmas season tends to bring.

At the end of the day, though, it’s not about “losing so much weight by such-and-such a date.” It’s about controlling your eating rather than letting your eating control you.

No comments:

Post a Comment