Week 33 Progress Report: Medical Matters and Not Too Much Information

So here are the weekly numbers, and we have a bit to talk about:

Starting Weight:
230.0
Original Target*:
243.2
Adjusted Target:
228.2
Actual Weight:
231.2
Loss/Gain:
+ 1.2
Total Loss:
71.4
% of Goal:
51.5%
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 2.2
*Original target calculated from a starting weight of 302.6 lbs. and an average loss/wk. of 1.8 lbs.
Thursday, I weighed in at 227.2, which took me past the 75-lb. loss mark. Yay me, right? Except that I noticed the right side of my face had swollen to the point that it was starting to creep into my visual range. I had had a little swelling for a few days, but I had thought it was an impacted sinus, which I’d had before. So I called Teladoc and paid $45 dollars for the doctor to tell me to go to the ER.

The ER doctor treated the swelling, which was cellulitis, as almost a side issue — he was much more concerned about the polyp in my right nostril which I’d had for several years. The doctor was concerned because my blood oxygen was down to 88%. So he ordered a CT scan and called in a local ENT to consult on the case. Turns out the polyp was only “benign” so far as cancer goes. Over the last 5½ years, it had been slowly growing inside my face. So the ENT ended up removing the mass in an endoscopic examination.

When I was discharged, my blood oxygen was at 98%, my BP at 112/72, and my pulse a slow but healthy 48 bpm. Amazing what having two working nostrils can do, huh? Ah, lovely oxygen! Two morals from this: 1) Never let financial concerns keep you from taking care of a health issue; and 2) No matter how smart you are — if you’re not a doctor, you shouldn’t try to guess which health issues are serious and which aren’t. Being smart is not the same thing as being wise.

While I was there, I began to notice that something else was wrong ….

This next issue is not something I would ordinarily discuss with my family and close friends, let alone broadcast on social media. Believe me, I am in no way comfortable revealing this. However, it directly connects with digestive health and weight loss. So there’s no benefit or use in turning away, covering your eyes and ears, and yelling, “TMI!”

The issue is gastric regularity and its absence. Put as best I can, I’ve noticed over the last few days that, while the production line still seems to be working, the shipping department is not getting products out of the warehouse fast enough. At least part of the 4.5 pounds I put on in the hospital was due to constipation, though I drank a lot of water. I’d thought that it might be an issue with my medication for hypothyroidism or that it might have been due to extreme coffee deprivation (as funny as that sounds, coffee does promote regularity). However, two days after my release from the hospital, my gut remains at a standstill.

Looking at my numbers, I find that, like most Americans, I don’t get nearly enough fiber in my diet — only about 15.87 grams a day over the last week, as opposed to the recommended 30 grams per day for men over 50. (For men under 50, it’s 38 g/day; for women, it’s 25 g/day 50 and under and 21 g/day over 50.)

Again, introducing more fiber into your diet is a matter of rewriting your food script: reducing refined grains in favor of whole grains, as well as eating more fruits, vegetables, nuts, and beans. Popcorn is a good source of fiber; it will fill you up without filling you out, so long as you avoid butter. However, it’s best to introduce more fiber gradually along with plenty of water, to give your gut time to adjust.

So much of successful weight loss consists of what Bill Cosby once called “re-behaving”: unlearning the toxic choices and habits we formed over our lives, learning to make better choices, and forming better habits. I almost called them “new habits”, except that the habits we formed, as I discussed in my previous status update, were heavily influenced (dare I say, distorted) by the effect of modern food production and marketing techniques.

Certainly, the way the average person prepared food 150 years ago wasn’t especially healthy or nutritious. Nevertheless, given their challenges in food preservation and variety, I’d think that different cultures had plenty of time to develop cuisines that took what was available and got the most nutritional bang for the buck through the process of “by guess and by golly.” And advances in biology and food science now give us not only better ways to preserve and prepare food but also better insights that enable us to walk back certain changes, particularly through the clean food movement.

But what to do in the meantime? While there are a number of home remedies to get the shipping department back to full output, magnesium oxide (such as in Spring Valley’s magnesium supplement) will also help regulate blood pressure and lower your LDL cholesterol. However, be careful — while a high dose of magnesium can move things along, the laxative effect is only good for a few days; as well, too much supplemental magnesium can be toxic. (Here is a chart outlining the tolerable upper intake levels for supplemental magnesium.)

And there’s something to be said for drinking a glass of water with a little lemon juice. Namely, don’t. Ugh.

The upshot of all this is that progress is essentially “on hold” until I get the distribution process moving again. I have a post-hospital follow-up scheduled with my primary care doctor later this week; if I’m still having issues by then, I’ll take them up with her. In the meantime, it’s magnesium for me now and gradually introducing more fruit, vegetables, and nuts in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment