Week 42 Progress Update: The Unexpected Milestone

Photos © 2019 Anthony S. Layne.
All rights reserved.
For once, I may be on time! Woo-hoo! So let’s start off as usual with the week-ending numbers:

Starting Weight:
214.6
Original Target*:
227.0
Adjusted Target:
212.3
Actual Weight:
211.8
Loss/Gain:
– 2.8
Total Loss:
90.8
% of Goal:
65.5%
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 2.2
*Original target calculated from a starting weight of 302.6 lbs. and an average loss/wk. of 1.8 lbs.
Considering that this last week included Thanksgiving (and the thickest, densest, and most sugary slice of pumpkin pie I’ve ever had in my life), a 2.8-pound drop is fantastic. It also included a four-hour stint collecting for my Knights of Columbus Council’s charity fund, which according to my Samsung Health app meant about 9 miles’ worth of walking back and forth along a highway island. (Nevertheless, I still managed to get a slight uptick on the scale the next day, possibly due to finishing off that slice of pie.)

I started off the day a little depressed. I’d made the difficult decision to send an email to my lead agent resigning my appointment as an insurance agent and start looking for another job. It was at about 8:45 a.m. when I finally got around to logging my weight. After I’d posted it to the ticker (to your right, if you haven’t noticed it before), I looked at it and realized something I hadn’t thought of:

I have 47.8 pounds to go to reach my primary goal of 164. Less than 50 pounds.

It’s been 42 weeks, 294 days since I started tracking my intake and my activity. There have been many ups and downs, not just on the scale and in my self-control but in my personal life as well, the most dramatic and painful of which was the loss of my mother. (I know she’s proud of me.)

In all that time, I never thought about this particular milepost. Ever. Oh, I suppose that I knew there would be a Lose It! group for this stage as there is for the over-100 and the 50 – 100 groups, but I didn’t think about what it might mean to get below 50 pounds. And over the last couple of months, I’ve been focused — well, more or less — on getting under 200 by Jan. 1. (With 30 days to go, I’m concerned I may not make it, but not discouraged.)

I look back at my first progress report (Week 3), which compared my starting excess weight to carrying over nine 15-lb. bowling balls. At that point, I’d dropped just one. I’ve since dropped five more; a little over three more bowling balls to go. I have yet to go back to Six Flags Water World or to sit in an airliner seat, but I’m confident I would have no difficulties in either case. I look much better. I feel much better. I still have a tendency to snack, but “snacking” isn’t running to Taco Bell for a couple of burritos or buying a couple of candy bars. In other respects, I have a lot more control over my intake.

A little over 10 years ago, I lost about 46 pounds. It took me almost seven months. Now, my goal is just under 48 pounds away. It may take me a little longer to lose it now than it did at the very beginning; I may have to add back some calories to keep my intake sustainable. But the final goal, which at the beginning of the year I could only imagine, is now much closer and looks more and more achievable. There’s still time and room enough to stumble and fall, but I know I can pick myself up and get back on track.

And I’m no longer worried about finding another job.
Omnia possunt in eo qui me confortat. (I can do all things in him [Christ Jesus] who gives me strength.) — Phil. 4:13 VULG

No comments:

Post a Comment