Week 13 Progress Report: Settling Down for the Long Haul

I’m only a little overdue for the weekly report:

Starting Weight:
264.2
Original Target*:
279.2
Adjusted Target:
262.4
Actual Weight:
262.4
Loss/Gain:
– 1.8
Total Loss:
40.2
% of Goal:
29.0%
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 3.1
*Original target calculated from a starting weight of 302.6 lbs. and an average loss/wk. of 1.8 lbs.
It’s also past time for the monthly report, which is graphed in the upper left. On the monthly charts, the target weight is calculated from the first day of the month, while the master chart is calculated from the starting weight. Unlike last month, in which the “actual” line was far more often above the “target” line than below it, this month the “actual” was consistently below the “target”, though not always as far below it as I would have liked. This next month is already off to a rocky start, as I’m almost a pound over where I should be. However, since the target drops a little less than 0.3 lbs./day and my weight can fluctuate as much as 1 lb./day, I can get back on track pretty rapidly.

To date, I’ve lost 40 pounds in three months, or about 13.3 pounds a month. Not bad when you only plan to lose about 7.7 – 8 pounds a month. I now have about 98 pounds to lose in order to achieve a BMI of 24.9, which would be in the “healthy” range. However, as I’ve noted before, the rate has slowed down; I can’t plan on big drops now any more than I planned on the big drops in the first six weeks. This is where patience and determination have to take over and get me through the long haul because at just under 2 pounds a week, it’s going to take a bit more than a year to shed all that weight. Probably longer, because I fully expect the rate to slow more once I pass the halfway point.

And that’s not thinking about any plateaus.

In looking over the last couple of weeks, I do note a couple of disturbing trends. For one, I’m tending to skip breakfast again, which usually leads to more midday snacking. For another, I’m not logging candy consistently; chocolate calories, I’m afraid, do count. Third, while counting my daily steps has its advantages, I need to stop looking to it to provide wiggle room and treat my budget max as an absolute ceiling until it’s time for my bedtime snack. (I still haven’t made up my mind on intermittent fasting.)

One slightly disturbing oddity I noticed while I was in the bathroom this morning: My larynx is slowly beginning to emerge from the layers of fat around my neck. The effect gives me something of a slight turkey wattle. When you lose weight rapidly, your skin doesn’t shrink as rapidly as your fat cells do; I’m told by others who have lost a lot of weight that walking around in a too-large birthday suit can be uncomfortable for a while. That’s another advantage of losing weight slowly — your skin can shrink with you.

To conclude: After one calendar quarter, I’m down over a quarter of the weight I intend to lose. By the end of Q2 (August 11), I hope to be down to 239 or less, having checked off a couple more intermediate goals. The next 40 pounds won’t be as easy as the first. But I’m in it for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment