Week 14 Progress Report: A Couple of Observations


This will be a short report:

Starting Weight:
262.4
Original Target*:
277.4
Adjusted Target:
260.6
Actual Weight:
259.4
Loss/Gain:
– 3.0
Total Loss:
43.2
% of Goal:
31.2%
Avg. Loss/Wk.:
– 3.1
*Original target calculated from a starting weight of 302.6 lbs. and an average loss/wk. of 1.8 lbs.
As I was logging my weekly weigh-in, I noticed that on the spreadsheet I created to track my weekly progress, I had originally stated my first goal to be at or under 250 lbs. by Sept. 1. At the time, it seemed reasonable because I’d only planned to lose 1.8 lbs./week. Besides, the last time I ran this program, it had taken me from Valentine’s Day to September 1, 2009 to lose 47 pounds. Fifty-three pound in roughly the same amount of time seemed optimistic but not unrealistic.

Now I’m on track to pass that goal by mid-June, a full two and a half months ahead of schedule. This also implies that I’ll meet my second original major goal, 225 by Jan. 1, about the beginning of October.

So far, the closest I’ve come to a plateau was in Week 12, when my weight didn’t vary more than 0.4 lbs./day and I only logged a loss of 0.8 lbs. for the week. That doesn’t mean that I won’t hit a longer stretch of insubstantial progress sometime in the next 3 – 6 months. I’m not worried about it, though. It’s just a matter of trusting the process: Eat less than you burn off and eventually, you will lose the weight. I’m much more concerned about self-sabotage — growing either too impatient or overconfident. Patience, determination, and humility aren’t my strong suits.

By the way, why do I set goals? People who live busier lives with more personal commitments may find goals and timelines counterproductive because they have to make more compromises with their weight-loss efforts. My commitments right now consist of writing, editing, and taking care of my mom (and, more often than not, my brother’s Jack Russell terrier). Setting goals and a timeline gives me something to do and ensures that, if I don’t make much progress, it’s not because I’m dicking off on my program. It helps me; it may or may not help you.

On a related note: For many years, I’ve avoided getting on my knees whenever possible. Getting down and back up again has required some kind of strong support against which I could push up. Besides, kneeling for any length of time has been uncomfortable if not painful, even on a church kneeler. But yesterday, while buying diet soda for the household (yes, yes, I know), I found that it no longer requires so much effort. I probably still have to lose at least 25 – 30 more pounds before I no longer need to push up against something, but it’s progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment